Re: [Exim] Configuration Question..

Author: Xander D Harkness
To: Kevin Reed, exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Configuration Question..
Kevin Reed wrote:

>Matt Newcomb
>

>>G'day,
>>
>>Hi. I've got a domain in a remote location. It gets
>>periodic satellite connectivity, but now we have the ability
>>to dial in with a satellite phone. That costs money, but will
>>fill in the gaps in between satellite coverage. I've got a
>>mailhost in the states doing routing for this domain and have
>>written a program to predict satellite passes. What I want
>>is to be able to have exim examine the queue, decide if there
>>is going to be a satellite pass within a set number of
>>minutes and if not dial into the remote domain, dump all mail
>>under a certain byte size and leave the rest for delivery on
>>a satellite pass later. I'd also like the flexibility to
>>have certain from addresses check immediately if there is a
>>satellite connection and if not dial in immediately.
>>
>>Any hints as to how to go about this?

Have you thought about HF / Ham radio?

The British Amateur radio organisation have about 18 satellites that
give them global coverage. Sometimes reception is patchy.

HF radio will also easily make connections from the UK to places as far
as St. Petersburg with clear enough reception for packet transfer. This
is free once the equipment is purchased.

There are a few guys running networks over this stuff in Kent I believe,
anyway - I am sure there is a mailing list if you wish to follow this
further :-)

Kind regards
Xander