[Exim] broken exim installation

Autor: James Ladan
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] broken exim installation
Hi,

Apologies for the long email... I've botched up my Exim installation.

If someone can point me to a page that will help me in creating/fixing a
reasonably simple installation of Exim, I'd really appreciate it.

(Don't yell at me for tinkering with a 'production' box -- it's the only
one I have, and more of a hobby box, though it does handle email for my
entire family.)

Fortunately, email is still being delivered without a hitch. I just
moved my Exim setup to a new box, running OpenBSD 3.3 (was on Linux),
that's connected to a business DSL line. I never had Exim configured to
send mail at all, only receive it, but now that I don't have an SMTP
server from an ISP for the connection, I need to configure it to send
mail for users logged in using PINE.

I also want to improve the security of my installation, as up until now,
I still had exim running as root.

I figured the easiest way would be to start over with a new copy of the
default configuration, since mine was just the default from 4.00 with my
settings from 3.x migrated in. (That was when I stopped being able to
use Exim to send email.)

I had a problem initially with a mail loop... but now I'm not sure if
that would happen again if I could get the new configuration working.
Somewhere along the way I really messed up the permissions, I'm
assuming.

I want to have it run under user exim, group exim. I also want it to
deliver under the uid/gid of the recipient.

When I send an email in PINE, I now get:

[Mail not sent. Sending error: 2003-08-18 09:01:23 19omRf-0008JQ-36 Fai]

And when I try sending from the command line, I get:

    $ ./sendmail -v jeremy@???
    LOG: MAIN
      cwd=/usr/sbin 3 args: ./sendmail -v jeremy@???
    2003-08-18 09:16:23 cwd=/usr/sbin 3 args: ./sendmail -v
      jeremy@???
    This is a stupid message... PINE isn't connecting to exim properly.
    LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
      Failed to create spool file /var/spool/exim/input//19omgB-00028X-
      Io-D: Permission denied

If I do a test with "./exim -d -bt jeremy@???", everything looks like
it resolves correctly. So I think it's just the permissions thing.

I've got exim installed completely under /usr/exim. The configuration
and alias files are in that directory, the log files are in
/usr/exim/log, and the binaries are in /usr/exim/bin. Sendmail is a
link to the exim binary.

The permissions for the directory and everything in it *were*
root.wheel, but I changed it to exim.exim. When I noticed the
permission message, I tried changing the permissions of /var/spool/exim
to be exim.exim as well.

I still have the exim daemon running with my old config, and it's
delivering mail.

The new config file is the default that was included with Exim 4.20,
modified only slightly.

Some selections from my config:

primary_hostname = spot.dae.ca
domainlist local_domains = spot.dae.ca : mail.dae.ca : tvot.ca : dae.ca
: ladan.ca : teeninga.ca

exim_user = exim
exim_group = exim
trusted_users = exim