Re: [Exim] exim 4.2 and debian

Autor: Walt Reed
A: Jason Shultz
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exim 4.2 and debian
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:23:32AM -0700, Jason Shultz said:
> I'm currently running the stable distribution of debian "woody". I know a
> lot of you have migrated on to exim 4.2. since it's listed as unstable in
> the packagages database I was wondering what I should be doing. Should I sit
> back with what debian has as the stable version of exim? Should I upgrade to
> 3.36 (which is currently in the testing stage) or go full tilt and go for
> 4.2? What are the benefits of moving forward? Is it going to be a
> complicated mess to upgrade? Just lots of questions. . . .

It depends on how complicated your exim config is, and what your needs
are. The more you have customized it, the more changes you will need to
make to the default exim4 configuration. Some things have changed quite
a bit. There is a conversion script that's quite good, but I prefer to
start with a clean default and add my customizations to it.

Frankly, I would go for 4.2x. It just seems so much more capable, yet
also seems easier to configure. The new ACL system is Very good.