Re: [Exim] exim 4.2 and debian

Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exim 4.2 and debian
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:23:32AM -0700, Jason Shultz wrote:
> I'm currently running the stable distribution of debian "woody". I know a
> lot of you have migrated on to exim 4.2. since it's listed as unstable in
> the packagages database I was wondering what I should be doing.

> Should I sit back with what debian has as the stable version of
> exim?

If 3.35 fulfills your needs (and you don't intend to ask detail
questions here), stay with it.

> Should I upgrade to 3.36 (which is currently in the testing
> stage)

That would be easy, just fetch the debian sources and rebuild them on
woody. 3.36 iirc just includes a bunch a small bugfixes, nothing
really important.

> or go full tilt and go for 4.2? What are the benefits of
> moving forward?

Shiny and new. ;-) Seriously imho the abolishment of the
directors/routers separation and the introduction of ACLs are the
biggest benefits, as they make the configuration more powerful and
easier to understand.

> Is it going to be a complicated mess to upgrade?

Depends on how much work you invested in your current config, if it is
basically vanilla eximconfig-output the upgrade will be a piece of
cake and semiautomatic. (OTOH there would not be much reason for a
upgrade).

Woody packages are here:
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/exim4manpages/woody/
        cu andreas
PS: It is not exim 4.2 but 4.20 (four dot twenty) or 4.22