Re: [Exim] broken exim installation

Autor: Andreas J Mueller
A: James Ladan
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] broken exim installation
Hi James!

> I want to have it run under user exim, group exim. I also want it to
> deliver under the uid/gid of the recipient.

That's no problem. Exim should be started as suid root, but will give
up privileges as soon as possible. It will then run under the user
and group specified by "exim_user" and "exim_group" configuration
settings. Deliveries will be made under the appropriate uid when
check_local_user is set on a router.

> The permissions for the directory and everything in it *were*
> root.wheel, but I changed it to exim.exim. When I noticed the
> permission message, I tried changing the permissions of /var/spool/exim
> to be exim.exim as well.

The Exim binary *must*[1] be suid root (owner root, mode 4755), in
order to be able to bind to port 25, and a lot of other things (like
doing deliveries under different user ids).

Andy

[1] except in very rare cases