Re: [Exim] group-quota's?

Author: Peter A. Savitch
To: hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject: Re: [Exim] group-quota's?
Hello hubert,

Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 9:24:03 PM, you wrote:

hdl> at first, i'll assure you that i searched through google and archives of
hdl> exim-users mailing list. documentation of course too.

hdl> it might happen that i used wrong keywords, but anyway...

hdl> my question:

hdl> we are trying to build mail server based on exim4. virtual domains,
hdl> purely virtual accounts (no entries in /etc/passwd), authentication
hdl> based on sql database.

hdl> this works.

hdl> the problem is that we would like to have better control over quota's.
hdl> for example:
hdl> we have a customer named "xxx" (a company) which we sell quota of 100 mb
hdl> for mails (just an example).
hdl> within this he can create as many accounts as he wishes to.
hdl> but we still want to keep track if he didn't exceed quota.
hdl> and more:

[...]

Appendfile transport quota options estimates the size of a mailbox
(maildir) to which the message is to be delivered to. No group-like
quotas available here.

Exim respects system quotas, but You have a pure virtual environment,
so there is no way to use system (uid/gid-based) quotas, too.

I don't see a straight-forward solution.

We've been implemented a similar things there. The idea is to
control user/group quota consistency by means of some external
programs (e.g. Administrator/User Interface).

Exim knows nothing about group quotas, only about user quotas.

System administrator (You) delegates some disk space to the virtual
mail domain administrator, which, in turn, distributes that space
between his virtual mail users. You operate per-domain quotas (don't
care about users). Under no circumstances total amount of user quotas
would exceed the domain quota. That's the idea.

--
Best regards,
 Peter                            mailto:spam4octan@highway.ru