Re: [Exim] ANNOUNCE: exiscan-4.20-10

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Tony Earnshaw
CC: exiscanusers, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ANNOUNCE: exiscan-4.20-10
Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>> I know that I have ruined lunch for the RFC huggers among you with this,
>> but Reality(tm) likes this feature :P
>
> I don't use Exiscan, though follow its progress both with empathy and
> sympathy :)
>
> I can, however, and do 550 reject scanned messages if they violate site
> policy (confirmed spam, MS executables.) At the same time I silently
> save/quarantine the rejected message, in case I've (SA has) boobed. The
> (in 99,5% non-existent) sender never gets to know that it's been saved.

How do you save or quarantine it while rejecting it? With SA-Exim, I
suppose? :) I know that SA-exim has this feature, and many exiscan users
have requested it, so I added it in a way that keeps it in the "exim
world". That means: After a fake reject, you have exims option to treat
the message like:

- freeze it (maybe with move_frozen_messages)
- redirect it (to a checking account)

... or anything else exim can do. All within exim, with all its
wonderful flexibility :)

> What would your motivation be for this possibility? For me, a 5xx
> rejection is so serious a step to undertake, that it's all or nothing.
> 451 rejects (for one reason or another) from my server are by far the
> most common.

If the message is spam and gets rejected with 550, the spammer (or his
bulk mailer) do not presume that it has been delivered, maybe
discouraging him to send more spam. :)

regards,

/tom