Re: [Exim] large number of command timeouts using Exim-4.20

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Benjamin Ash
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] large number of command timeouts using Exim-4.20
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:49:35AM -0600,
Benjamin Ash <bash@???> is thought to have said:

> Thanks for the reply. Do you think there might be any other
> possiblities for these timeouts other than routing errors? We are
> getting these timouts from edu's, mail.yahoo.com, and a host of others.
> Other sys admins on our network have not experienced any of these timeouts?

Sure. Perhaps a flakey firewall in front of your mail servers (I once had a
Lucent Brick which caused similar problems when it was handling too many
tcp connections). Perhaps even a bad network card in your mail server or a
bad port on your switch.

But I definitely think you should look at the network/server rather than Exim.
Something is causing you to not be able to recent data on SMTP connections
for extended periods of time. The most likely cause is a problem with your
network IMO. I think it's extremely unlikely that it is an application-level
problem

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality