Re: [Exim] [Snapshot] changing the semantics of $header_.. c…

Author: Thomas Tonino
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [Snapshot] changing the semantics of $header_.. correct decision?
Michael Haardt wrote:

> It's an incompatible change, but fixing bugs usually introduces
> incompatibility concerning applications that depend on them. ;-)
>
> Whoever updates Exim is well advised to read about new stuff, possibly
> changing the configuration as required. Since we all RTFM, nobody will
> be taken by surprise.

I do indeed RTFM... as the manual, and the change logs, are really Fine,
and a pleasure to read.

Bug-compatibility at the cost of cruft is not good either. Exim feels
nice and clean to work with and I think that has a reason :)

BTW as far as I can see there has been little 'force' to upgrade over
the last versions - so people get these for improvements (of which there
are many, thanks Philip!), or for fixes.

I feel there is no problem with bug-incompatible enhancements - as long
as they are not done in the same release as a security update.

Thomas