RE: [Exim] Translating Sendmail....

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kevin Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Translating Sendmail....
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Kevin Reed wrote:

> So the address which came in like    username@???   to the
> mail host called mailhost.domain.name sends the message out to the
> destination as  username@???@mailhost.domain.name

> The last time I asked about rewritting, it was a similar type address.
> Phillip said it was illegal, but that is what it is looking for.

It is indeed syntactically invalid. The valid format is:

"username@???

> Is there a way to get Exim to duplicate this?

Not with the invalid format, I'm afraid. At least, I don't think so.
There may be loopholes, but I wouldn't rely on them.

> I think what I'm looking for is a way to rewrite the Envelope To: address.
> Can I do this in the transport with a headers_rewrite?
>
> headers_rewrite = ????? Ef

headers_rewrite rewrites, er ... headers. It does not rewrite the
envelope. There is no way to rewrite the envelope recipient at transport
time.