Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers

Author: Oliver Eikemeier
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Barry Pederson wrote:
>
>>I wonder if drop_cr should default to true? more compatible with sendmail
>>that way?
>
> What do other people think? Now that drop_cr drops only one CR preceding
> a linefeed (the original hack dropped *all* CRs in a message), this
> might be more acceptable. But I can't say I like it.

I admit, I'm a Cyrus-IMAPd user too.

Please, can someone advise me where it is preferable to *not* accept
both LF and CRLF? And converting CRLF to CRCRLF in output?

What I would expect is
LF in => CRLF out
CRLF in => CRLF out
CR in => CRLF out
and I don't care about the internal format. To make the purists happy, how
about adding a CR only when it is not already present?

<rant>
Coming from Mac OS I could *never* understand why any text editor cared for
line endings. I do not feel that a file from an foreign OS does break the
conventions of my world.
</rant>

Ok, just my 5 cents - no offense intended
    Oliver