Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers

Author: Barry Pederson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers
Tony Finch wrote:

> Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
>
>>What do other people think? Now that drop_cr drops only one CR preceding
>>a linefeed (the original hack dropped *all* CRs in a message), this
>>might be more acceptable. But I can't say I like it.
>

> I don't see much harm in turning on drop_cr by default. The whole area
> is so evil that anyone who causes problems by relying on particular
> behaviour deserves the worst possible consequences. Another evil idea
> I had as a possible alternative way of dealing with the Cyrus mismatch
> would be to convert bare CRs into CRLFSPC, so that the additional line
> break doesn't split the header.

Let me throw another thing in here...

Philip mentioned testing without problem with an appendfile delivery, but in
my setup I was delivering to Cyrus using the "smtp" driver with the "lmtp"
option. I'd imagine Exim must be adding CRs to messsages to make it legal
SMTP/LMTP? Maybe Exim's doing that a bit too eagerly?

    Barry