RE: [Exim] Suddenly lots of "host lookup did not complete" e…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Muey
CC: exim-users, eloj .
Subject: RE: [Exim] Suddenly lots of "host lookup did not complete" errors
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Dan Muey wrote:

> > DNS.
>
> Right, I guess I meant does it issue a 'host' or 'dig' command or ???

Neither, it calls the DNS resolver library.

> We have several domains setup in Exim.
> All other domains are having no trouble sending

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't understand what you mean by "a domain
sending". Do you mean that all messages (from whatever host) that have a
particular domain in the sender address are having trouble, or do you
mean that all messages from a specific host (that happens to use one
particular domain for all its sending addresses) are having trouble?

> One domain, no matter what account it is gets a lot of "host lookup did not complete" errors when sending mail.

By "account" do you mean "login account on a host" or just "customer
account".

> Here's an example of one address they can't seem to send to:

Oh good, debug output. That I can probably understand ...

> # /usr/sbin/exim -d9 -bt tiffany.nieves@???
> Exim version 3.36 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0

Ah. Exim 3. Sorry, I can't remember too much about Exim 3 these days. It
is now very obsolete. However, "pilotonline.com" there is a recipient
domain, not a sending domain.

<snip>

> DNS lookup of pilotonline.com (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN

But that error is clear. The DNS lookup failed in some way. The problem
is with the DNS resolver or the DNS nameserver. What output do you get
from

dig pilotonline.com mx

? On my host, it works fine.