RE: [Exim] Suddenly lots of "host lookup did not complete" e…

Author: Dan Muey
To: exim-users
CC: eloj .
Subject: RE: [Exim] Suddenly lots of "host lookup did not complete" errors
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Dan Muey wrote:
>
> > When Exim can't deliver a message because "host lookup did not
> > complete" is it trying to lookup the host of the sender or reciever?
>
> Could be either. This message comes from the dnslookup
> router, which is used both to send mail, and to verify
> senders. It depends *when* the message is issued - if it is
> during delivery, it's looking up a receiver; if it's during
> reception, it could be verifying a receiver or a sender,
> depending on your configuration.
>
> > How is it do that lookup?
>
> DNS.

Right, I guess I meant does it issue a 'host' or 'dig' command or ???

> > What info is it expecting/needing to get?
>
> An IP address.
>
> > I ask because we have one domain that can't send anythign
> > out because they all get stuck in queueu with said error message.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "one domain that can't send". Are
> you saying that other messages *on the same host* but with
> different sender domains, can look up that host? If so, I am
> gobsmacked.
>
> > I had them change their smtp to our qmail server and all is
> creamy and
> > dreamy now.
>
> Oh, that suggests that you mean one client host can't send
> rather than one domain. That makes more sense.

We have several domains setup in Exim.
All other domains are having no trouble sending (fred@???, bill@???, etcc)
One domain, no matter what account it is gets a lot of "host lookup did not complete" errors when sending mail.

Here's an example of one address they can't seem to send to:

# /usr/sbin/exim -d9 -bt tiffany.nieves@???
Exim version 3.36 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: DB 2.4.14: (6/2/98)
Caller is an admin user
Caller is a trusted user
originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=root
sender address = root@???
Address testing: uid=0 gid=0 euid=0 egid=0

Testing tiffany.nieves@???
search_open: lsearch "/etc/localdomains"
search_find: file="/etc/localdomains"
key="pilotonline.com" partial=-1
LRU list:
7/etc/localdomains
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/localdomains"
type=lsearch key="pilotonline.com"
file lookup required for pilotonline.com
in /etc/localdomains
lookup failed
pilotonline.com in local_domains? no (end of list)
address tiffany.nieves@???
local_part=tiffany.nieves domain=pilotonline.com
domain is not local

routing tiffany.nieves@???, domain pilotonline.com
Starting Perl interpreter
lookuphost router called for tiffany.nieves@???
dns lookup: route_domain = pilotonline.com
DNS lookup of pilotonline.com (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN
pilotonline.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
returning DNS_AGAIN
lookuphost router deferred pilotonline.com
message: host lookup did not complete
tiffany.nieves@??? cannot be resolved at this time:
host lookup did not complete
search_tidyup called
#

> > But I really would like Exim to be their SMTP server.
>
> Run a test on your Exim server using the -bh option, and
> simulate a mail from the failing client. See what Exim tells you.

I'll take look at that also.

Thanks for yout input!

Dan