RE: [Exim] Suddenly lots of "host lookup did not complete" e…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Muey
CC: eloj ., exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Suddenly lots of "host lookup did not complete" errors
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Dan Muey wrote:

> When Exim can't deliver a message because "host lookup did not complete" is
> it trying to lookup the host of the sender or reciever?

Could be either. This message comes from the dnslookup router, which is
used both to send mail, and to verify senders. It depends *when* the
message is issued - if it is during delivery, it's looking up a
receiver; if it's during reception, it could be verifying a receiver or
a sender, depending on your configuration.

> How is it do that lookup?

DNS.

> What info is it expecting/needing to get?

An IP address.

> I ask because we have one domain that can't send anythign
> out because they all get stuck in queueu with said error message.

Not sure what you mean by "one domain that can't send". Are you saying
that other messages *on the same host* but with different sender
domains, can look up that host? If so, I am gobsmacked.

> I had them change their smtp to our qmail server and all is creamy and dreamy now.

Oh, that suggests that you mean one client host can't send rather than
one domain. That makes more sense.

> But I really would like Exim to be their SMTP server.

Run a test on your Exim server using the -bh option, and simulate a mail
from the failing client. See what Exim tells you.