Re: [Exim] Interpreting Subject: lines - opinions, please

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Interpreting Subject: lines - opinions, please
> The code of Exim, I'm afraid (and as you know well), makes the
> assumption that it is handling C strings (i.e. zero terminated). This
> was, with hindsight, probably a mistake. However, it would be a major,
> major re-design to change it, and I do not think that now is the right
> time.

You could convert =00 to a NUL character and let the function return
the string length explicitly, like the append function does, too. It
might make sense anyway, for the same reasons append returns it.

> Exim already converts incoming binary zeros in header lines to '?'. I
> think I should make it do the same for encoded zeros. (Binary zeros in
> the body are unaltered.)

In that case, the Sieve filter could not use the new function. Would
the code police arrest me for suggesting a flag that determines how to
convert =00?

Michael