Re: [Exim] Interpreting Subject: lines - opinions, please

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Interpreting Subject: lines - opinions, please
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Michael Haardt wrote:

> How will this function decode =00 in the string? *ducks and runs* :)
> It may be a solution to return the target string length in an additional
> parameter.

The code of Exim, I'm afraid (and as you know well), makes the
assumption that it is handling C strings (i.e. zero terminated). This
was, with hindsight, probably a mistake. However, it would be a major,
major re-design to change it, and I do not think that now is the right
time.

Exim already converts incoming binary zeros in header lines to '?'. I
think I should make it do the same for encoded zeros. (Binary zeros in
the body are unaltered.)