Re: [Exim] HELP! exim 3 address rewriting problem

Author: Gabriel Ricard
To: John Dalbec
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELP! exim 3 address rewriting problem
On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 01:25 PM, John Dalbec wrote:

> Gabriel Ricard wrote:
>
>> This is the third time I've mailed this to the list, perhaps someone
>> can actually help me out with it this time.
>> Is there a default rule in exim 3 to rewrite an email address and
>> change its domain if the email address bounces?
>> There are no rules in the rewrite section of our config file, yet we
>> get instances where an email that was destined for
>> randomuser@??? will wind up being sent to
>> randomuser@???. I have no idea how this is happening. Could
>> this have some thing to do with the retry rules?
>
> <Shot in the dark> Could somedomain.com have their MX record pointing
> to a CNAME that resolves to imaxsales.net? </Shot> Without seeing
> your whole configuration, it's hard to tell what's happening. What
> Exim version? BTW, most people on the list who could help you are
> using Exim 4 now. I recommend you do the same.
>
> What does exim -d9 -bt randomuser@??? say?
>
> Wait, do you mean that the "To:" header shows
> randomuser@??? but the envelope recipient is
> randomuser@???? If so, spammers do this all the time.
> Nothing in SMTP enforces any relationship between the "To:" header in
> the message and the recipients of the message.
> John

This is what 'exim -d9 -bt madsen@???' tells me:

Exim version 3.36 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0
probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)
search_open: mysql "NULL"
search_find: file="NULL"
key="select DomainName as domain from Sites where (DomainName =
'smtp.imaxsales.net') AND (HostingEmail = 1)" partial=-1
LRU list:
internal_search_find: file="NULL"
type=mysql key="select DomainName as domain from Sites where
(DomainName = 'smtp.imaxsales.net') AND (HostingEmail = 1)"
database lookup required for select DomainName as domain from Sites
where (DomainName = 'smtp.imaxsales.net') AND (HostingEmail = 1)
MYSQL query: select DomainName as domain from Sites where (DomainName =
'smtp.imaxsales.net') AND (HostingEmail = 1)
MYSQL new connection: ####CENSORED#####
MYSQL: no data found
lookup failed
smtp.imaxsales.net in local_domains? no (end of list)
adding primary host name smtp.imaxsales.net to local_domains
Reset TZ to EST: time is 2003-07-08 14:59:26
Caller is an admin user
Caller is a trusted user
originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=System Administrator
sender address = root@???
Address testing: uid=0 gid=0 euid=42 egid=42

Testing madsen@???
search_open: mysql "NULL"
cached open
search_find: file="NULL"
key="select DomainName as domain from Sites where (DomainName =
'uolinectis.com.ar') AND (HostingEmail = 1)" partial=-1
LRU list:
internal_search_find: file="NULL"
type=mysql key="select DomainName as domain from Sites where
(DomainName = 'uolinectis.com.ar') AND (HostingEmail = 1)"
database lookup required for select DomainName as domain from Sites
where (DomainName = 'uolinectis.com.ar') AND (HostingEmail = 1)
MYSQL query: select DomainName as domain from Sites where (DomainName =
'uolinectis.com.ar') AND (HostingEmail = 1)
MYSQL using cached connection for ####CENSORED#####
MYSQL: no data found
lookup failed
uolinectis.com.ar in local_domains? no (end of list)
address madsen@???
local_part=madsen domain=uolinectis.com.ar
domain is not local

routing madsen@???, domain uolinectis.com.ar
smarthost router called for madsen@???
route_domain = uolinectis.com.ar
after handling route_lists items, matched = 0
smarthost router: lsearch key=uolinectis.com.ar
file="/etc/exim/bypasshosts"
search_open: lsearch "/etc/exim/bypasshosts"
search_find: file="/etc/exim/bypasshosts"
key="uolinectis.com.ar" partial=-1
LRU list:
7/etc/exim/bypasshosts
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/exim/bypasshosts"
type=lsearch key="uolinectis.com.ar"
file lookup required for uolinectis.com.ar
in /etc/exim/bypasshosts
lookup failed
search_find failed:
smarthost router declined
lookuphost router called for madsen@???
dns lookup: route_domain = uolinectis.com.ar
DNS lookup of uolinectis.com.ar (MX) gave HOST_NOT_FOUND
returning DNS_NOMATCH
DNS lookup of uolinectis.com.ar (A) gave HOST_NOT_FOUND
returning DNS_NOMATCH
lookuphost router declined
end of routers reached
madsen@??? is undeliverable:
unrouteable mail domain "uolinectis.com.ar"
search_tidyup called
close MYSQL connection: ####CENSORED#####

The email is generated by our system, so I know it is not spam. It is
being sent to madsen@???, and in this case, I know this
address is incorrect, and instead of the message bouncing, it instead
somehow winds up at madsen@???, which goes to a catch-all
account for the imaxsales.net domain. This has happened for all
non-existent email addresses our system has sent email to.

Which is the recommended version of exim 4 for production use? I tried
one version on a dev server, but had some difficulties with it, so I
have not deployed exim 4 on this mail server yet.

- Gabriel