[Exim] Change in $home handling after 4.10?

Author: Jason L Tibbitts III
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Change in $home handling after 4.10?
I've recently upgraded from Exim 4.10 to 4.20 and have run into a
minor issue. When we terminate an account, we keep a record around in
the password file for a bit but archive and delete the home directory.
This lets us present useful information when a terminated user tries
to log in. The home directory for the user is then set to
/dead/yyyy.mm.dd.

In my RCPT ACL, I have the following:

deny    message       = This account has been terminated.\nContact postmaster@??? or 713-743-3486 for more information.
          condition     = ${if match {$home}{^/dead/}{yes}{no}}

Under 4.10 this worked; mail to terminated users was bounced
properly. Under 4.20 the mail is accepted and the mail sticks in the
queue with an error like the following:

R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (2): No such file or directory: failed to chdir to /dead/2003.06.18

which makes sense given the home directory doesn't exist. A '-bs -d5'
run gives the following for a user whose home directory is
/dead/2003.06.18:

processing "deny"
check condition = ${if match {$home}{^/dead/}{yes}{no}}
                = no
deny: condition test failed

I went through the ChangeLog and don't see any changes that seem
related. I stuck '\N's around the pattern but it didn't seem to make
a difference; I also took out the '^' and '/' characters to no avail.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks,
--
  Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs@??? - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
       System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics