Re: [Exim] HELP! exim 3 address rewriting problem

Author: John Dalbec
To: Gabriel Ricard
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELP! exim 3 address rewriting problem
Gabriel Ricard wrote:

> This is the third time I've mailed this to the list, perhaps someone
> can actually help me out with it this time.
>

> Is there a default rule in exim 3 to rewrite an email address and
> change its domain if the email address bounces?
>
> There are no rules in the rewrite section of our config file, yet we
> get instances where an email that was destined for
> randomuser@??? will wind up being sent to
> randomuser@???. I have no idea how this is happening. Could
> this have some thing to do with the retry rules?

<Shot in the dark> Could somedomain.com have their MX record pointing to
a CNAME that resolves to imaxsales.net? </Shot> Without seeing your
whole configuration, it's hard to tell what's happening. What Exim
version? BTW, most people on the list who could help you are using Exim
4 now. I recommend you do the same.

What does exim -d9 -bt randomuser@??? say?

Wait, do you mean that the "To:" header shows randomuser@???
but the envelope recipient is randomuser@???? If so, spammers
do this all the time. Nothing in SMTP enforces any relationship between
the "To:" header in the message and the recipients of the message.
John