Re: [Exim] Listservers with unsubscribe-on-bounce

Author: Kristian Koehntopp
To: Richard Gration
CC: Kristian Koehntopp, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Listservers with unsubscribe-on-bounce
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 12:22:30PM +0100, Richard Gration wrote:
> I don't know that it has auto unsubscribe, but Majordomo is a
> very good list manager and integrates well with exim.

Thank you, but Majordomo is precisely the reason I installed
qmail just in order to be able to use ezmlm.

I had the infinite misfortune to manage a mailing list that was
opt-in fed with mail addresses from a web shops order interface
(customers that wanted to be notified of new releases from a
video tape store). For each mailing (some thousand subscribers,
once a month) I got about 10% bounces that crashed onto the
-owner alias, which basically pointed to me.

These bounces had to be unsubscribed manually. Also, because a
good part of these bounces were unreadable due to the fact that
they came from chinese mailers, or worse, Exchange and Lotus
Notes mailers, it was a kind of detective work to find the
matching address to unsubscribe - Lotus and Exchange reported
not the bouncing address, but X400ified versions of them, adding
local internal names to the addresses as well.

Converting to ezmlm completely eliminated the problem (*1), and
I do not want to go back there, ever. So VERP (Did not know that
there was a name for this feature) is a mandadory feature.

Kristian

(*1) List creation was also much easier than with Majordomo, as
     there was no longer any need to edit alias files -
it is now for me...