Re: [Exim] FWD: Mail delivery failed: returning message to s…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Walt Reed
A: Troy Settle
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] FWD: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 02:29:40AM -0400, Troy Settle said:

> [...]

Perhaps you don't remember the history of the net. Back in the 80's, all
my university had for an email and usenet connection when I was a
freshman was a dial-up modem connection to various UUCP nodes. Later,
they finally "splurged" and got a full-time 64K leased line connection
to the internet. This supported around 600 math and comp-sci students
(other students were on BITNET which had it's own 64K connection.) They
would have LOVED to have a connection as fast as the most basic
"consumer" broadband connection back then.

Second, there is absolutly NO, ZERO, NADA technical difference between a
consumer broadband connection and a business broadband connection except
PRICE and sometimes what features are available such as static IP or
higher upload speads. Hell, the concept of "consumer" and "business"
class connections only started a few years ago as a marketing thing.
Most plans I have seen in the US for DSL service have two identical
plans with the business plan twice as expensive for the EXACT same
service, provisioned with the EXACT same equipment connected to the
EXACT same internet we all use.

If you don't have the traffic requirements for a T1, why the hell should
you be required to use one just to run an email server???? This just
smacks of elitism. Frankly, I'm happy that so many small businesses are
on the net. It makes working with them so much easier. Just an FYI, by
the way, 90% of ALL businesses in the US have less than 10 employees.
Should they all be forced to get T1's just to satisfy some snobbish
whim? Perhaps you forget about the actual email protocols which were
DESIGNED for part-time and unreliable connections.

Sorry, but your post just rang of too many bigot converstations I've
heard over the years. Oh, your not running Cisco routers? What pile of
junk do you have then? The only REAL database is Oracle. If your going
to run a web site, it needs to be on Solaris as that's "the one true
unix." C? Perl? Everyone knows that Java is the future, anything else is
a dead language. Your not a REAL programmer unless you use emacs. Ford
versus Chevy.

A net connection is a net connection is a net connection. Some are
faster, some are slower, some are more reliable than others, some have
firewalls, some don't, some are dynamic, and some are static. Some
people use netscape, some IE, some mozilla, some something else.

My Original question was (which nobody answered except with unhelpful
comments about getting a new ISP,) my providers email server sucks and
doesn't accept bounce messages. How do I configure exim to send bounces
ONLY directly instead of through my ISP's smarthost? How do I tell in a
router, director or whatever what emails are exim-generated (or possibly
externally generated although I don't think that will happen) bounce
messages?