Re: [Exim] limitations with embedded Perl

Author: Alun
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] limitations with embedded Perl
--
Mike Scott (mscott@???) said, in message
    <NDBBKMPICKPFJNFCPEHFOELIENAA.mscott@???>:

> Sorry for the similar post so soon after my first, but I can't believe no
> one responded. I see the embedded Perl functionality as a HUGE feature for
> extensibility. Does no one use it? Is it technically flawed? Why is there
> so little information on its use and capabilities (or limitations)?

We use it hugely on the central mail service for Aber. This is partly, I
admit, because we've not yet been able to find the time to install Exim 4 -
quite a lot of the stuff we do would work better from ACLs. Spam scanning
was, until recently, done completely using the perl interface. We've got a
teergrube setup done inside a perl function and all sorts of other stuff.

Personally, I'd be very sorry to see embedded perl go away. It may impose
some small penalty on speed (though I've not noticed it) but it sure is
useful!

Cheers,
Alun.

--
Alun Jones                       auj@???
Systems Support,                 (01970) 62 2494