spammers and secondary MX, was Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER mess…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: spammers and secondary MX, was Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, William Thompson wrote:

> I've noticed that lots of spammers don't even try my backup.

I don't disagree with that: "lots of" them try once and then slink
quietly away. However, the ones that won't take 5xx for an answer,
and just keep hammering away every few seconds for days on end, are
also a force to contend with. The contributor who started this
thread has evidently met at least one of them!

And yet another pattern of behaviour are those which go and try our
backup MX first, without showing any sign of having tried the primary
beforehand. This happens frequently enough for me to suspect that
some spammers do it deliberately.

cheers