Re: spammers and secondary MX, was Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER …

Author: William Thompson
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: spammers and secondary MX, was Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER message
> > I've noticed that lots of spammers don't even try my backup.
>
> I don't disagree with that: "lots of" them try once and then slink
> quietly away. However, the ones that won't take 5xx for an answer,
> and just keep hammering away every few seconds for days on end, are
> also a force to contend with. The contributor who started this
> thread has evidently met at least one of them!

If say the primary is giving them nothing (not there/tcp refused) or defer
on connect and the keep hammering it, I wouldn't see that would matter.

> And yet another pattern of behaviour are those which go and try our
> backup MX first, without showing any sign of having tried the primary
> beforehand. This happens frequently enough for me to suspect that
> some spammers do it deliberately.

I have seen some of this. But then again, my personal servers drop on
connect if I've blacklisted them/rbled.

If they continually hammer even when blacklisted, they windup in the
firewall as a blackhole.

I personally think my "glock-30 spam eliminator system" was a better idea =)