Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER message

Author: William Thompson
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
New-Topics: spammers and secondary MX, was Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER message
Subject: Re: [Exim] ECLEAR_SERVER message
> That's one possible approach: of course they'll then go and hassle
> your backup MX if you have one...

I have 2 personal exim servers (one is a backup for the other). I've
noticed that lots of spammers don't even try my backup.

I had an idea of having a primary mailserver that didn't exist and a backup.

I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure that I will, but I thought I'd share
it.

If:

myhost    mx    10 somehost
    mx    20 actualmachine
    mx    30 actualbackup

somehost would resolve to something that isn't accessible, but also not
something most configurations would throw away. If I had 3 IPs, one of
which the somehost would resolv to and simply not run a mailserver (or would
defer everything)

What I've seen, if this was setup, spammers would hammer on somehost (the
ones who don't use open smtp servers) but not ever see the backup
(actualmachine). I realize this would delay mail. Is there any smtp
servers out there that won't try the backup if the primary isn't available
or defers? I know exim will use the backup along with zmailer (I'm on 2
mailing lists, the other uses zmailer IIRC)