[Exim] problems running exim on non-standard port

Author: Gatenby, Damon
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] problems running exim on non-standard port
Hello,

I need to change exim from running on port 25 to port 9925.
I am running ver 3.35.
I must admit I am not all that familiar with exim, but I have been running this version for over a year without an issue until now.

I have gone through the documentation and FAQ and have tried different config file arguments and have not worked.
on my last attempt I changed  the mail line in my inetd.conf file from:
smtp        stream    tcp    nowait    mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

smtp        stream    tcp    nowait    mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bd -oX 9925

this worked briefly but I was still not able to receive mail.
in the error log there was several lines with something similar to following error (sorry I do not have the exact error in front of me):
could not use port 9925, in use by another process.

I assure you there is nothing running on port 9925.

also is it possible to have exim run on both ports 25 and 9925? that may help me in the future.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks.

Damon