Re: [Exim] exim 4.14 hangs when getting mail from pine (loca…

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 4.14 hangs when getting mail from pine (localhost)
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 09:04:54PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> pine runs exim locally via the sendmail wrapper and does exactly this:
>
> stan:/var/spool# exim -bs -odb -oem
> 220 stan.corp.google.com ESMTP Exim 4.14 #4 Thu, 15 May 2003 21:01:09 -0700 - mm8
> EHLO localhost
> 250-stan.corp.google.com Hello root at localhost
> 250-SIZE 10485760
> 250-EXPN
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
> 250 HELP
> RSET
> 250 Reset OK
> MAIL FROM:<kkleiner@???>
> 250 OK
> RCPT TO:<merlin@???>
> 250 Accepted
> DATA
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> From: Keith Kleiner <kkleiner@???>
> To: Marc Merlin <merlin@???>
> Subject: test
>
> test

Ok, we're missing me sending a '.' after test, (unfortunate bug between mutt
and exim, mutt calls exim from the command line and exim stops accepting the
mail when exim feeds '.\n\r'
Basically exim was not acknowledging the final '.'

I found my problem by running exim in debug mode.
My data ACL wasn't configured to not run when exim was called locally and
the callback on the header from hung because the 3 smtp servers for the
domain need to be relayed to, they can't be accessed directly (tcp packets
dropped)

The fix follows:

before:
  deny    hosts = !+localadds:!+hosts_disable_callback:*
after:            vvv
  deny    hosts = !:!+localadds:!+hosts_disable_callback:*
          #sender_domains = !+envdomain_disable_callback:*
         !condition = $header_X-WhitelistedRCPT-nohdrfromcallback:
         !condition = ${lookup{${domain:$header_from:}}lsearch{HDR_DOMAIN_DISABLE_CALLBACK} {yes}{no}}
          # See the rcpt to ACL, we don't check some domains in random mode
          # (like yahoo.com)
         !condition = ${lookup{${domain:$header_from:}}lsearch{NO_RANDOM_CALLBACK} {yes}{no}}
          # random might be buggy in 4.14 from what I read on the exim list
        #!verify = header_sender/callout=90s,postmaster,random
         !verify = header_sender/callout=90s,postmaster
          # Thanks to the exim4.gooderror.diff patch, exim will return
          # informative error messages. You can override that with a generic
          # message though
          #message = Header sender couldn't be verified
.ifdef TEERGRUBE
          delay         = TEERGRUBE
.endif

My bad, sorry for the noise ;)