Re: [Exim] exim 4.14 hangs when getting mail from pine (loca…

Author: Christopher Allen [BigFatPipe.Net]
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 4.14 hangs when getting mail from pine (localhost)
On Thu, 15 May 2003, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> pine runs exim locally via the sendmail wrapper and does exactly this:
>
> stan:/var/spool# exim -bs -odb -oem
> 220 stan.corp.google.com ESMTP Exim 4.14 #4 Thu, 15 May 2003 21:01:09 -0700 - mm8
> EHLO localhost
> 250-stan.corp.google.com Hello root at localhost
> 250-SIZE 10485760
> 250-EXPN
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
> 250 HELP
> RSET
> 250 Reset OK
> MAIL FROM:<kkleiner@???>
> 250 OK
> RCPT TO:<merlin@???>
> 250 Accepted
> DATA
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> From: Keith Kleiner <kkleiner@???>
> To: Marc Merlin <merlin@???>
> Subject: test
>
> test

I suspect this is a Pine issue, rather than an Exim issue. I've had users
report pine freezing up or hanging during the sending stage since 4.53.
In every case, they were running within a screen session, and after
killing off the window they found that their message _had_ been sent to
the MTA and _had_ been written to all of the appropriate folders within
pine.

In our case, FreeBSD 4.4-REL, Pine 4.53-4.55, Screen v. 3.09.10. I
haven't done any testing at all to try and isolate whether this happens
without being in an active screen session.

-CA