Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH PLAIN - error in documentation and conf…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: CaLViN
CC: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH PLAIN - error in documentation and config files
On Tue, 13 May 2003, CaLViN wrote:

> > Exim 3 is obsolete and is no longer maintained (though I would fix a
> > really serious bug if one cropped up).
>
> This is interesting. Is this info somewhere on the website?

I have just requested the hostmaster to put it on the home page when he
has time. It has certainly been said often enough on the mailing list,
but obviously the message hasn't reached everybody...

> Since I failed to read properly once, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't
> think this is mentioned somewhere. I thought that both versions are
> still maintained, and that things would still be fixed (both in the
> product and in the doc) for version 3.

It is now well over a year since Exim 4 was released and it is The
Future. Exim 3 will only be touched (by me) if something Really Serious
is found.

> Is there any document that points out the changes from 3 to 4?

In the Exim 4 distribution, there is a file called doc/Exim4.upgrade.
It has not been changed since 4.00, so everything that has been added to
Exim since then won't be there. However, it does contain the major big
differences.