[Exim] exim3 sender verifications *except* for certain RCPT …

Author: Vineet Kumar
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim3 sender verifications *except* for certain RCPT domains?
--
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to perform sender verifications for all
inbound messages *except* those for a particular domain?

I know that the MAIL From: comes first, and the callback is performed at
that time. However, The 5xx code is not returned until after DATA,
after RCPT To:s have already been issued. What I'd like is to
"override" the error condition if the RCPT matches a certain domain.

If this is impossible with exim3, would it work with exim4? In that
case, my solution would be to disable callbacks altogether now and work
on a migration path towards exim4.

Basically, I'd like to enforce sender verification with callbacks, but I
have a client who needs to communicate with clients who use braindead
mailservers[1]. I'd prefer not to subject the rest of my domains to the
spam that comes in with unverifiable sender addresses, but at this point
it seems like it's the only choice, without some real hackery.

The hackery I was thinking about would involve maintaining a file
containing domains to exclude from sender_verify_callback_domains, and
automatically add domains to that file after a failure appears in the
logs to this particular domain. It sounds like a real hack, though, and
I'd probably be better off just disabling callbacks altogether.
(grumble, grumble...)

good times,
Vineet

[1]
noodlenose:~% host -t mx aifoundation.org
aifoundation.org mail is handled by 10 mail.aifoundation.org.
noodlenose:~% telnet mail.aifoundation.org 25
Trying 12.36.126.41...
Connected to mail.colfax-intl.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.aifoundation.org (IMail 7.07 72768-1) NT-ESMTP Server X1
EHLO doorstop.net
250-mail.aifoundation.org says hello
250-SIZE 0
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250 EXPN
MAIL From:<>
501 bogus mail from
QUIT
221 Goodbye

braindead, indeed. Well, I submitted this transcript to
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org as well, so hopefully you'll never have to hear
from them =)
--
http://www.doorstop.net/