Re: [Exim] White Listing for RBLs

Author: Andreas J Mueller
To: HPO Tech Group
Subject: Re: [Exim] White Listing for RBLs
Hi HPO Tech Group!

>   deny    message       = host is listed in $dnslist_domain
>           dnslists      = bl.spamcop.net:dnsbl.njabl.org:relays.ordb.org

> I suppose the ACL in the config file would point to, for example, a file
> name exim.whitelist the ACL would check the white list and if the domain or
> the email address was there it would bypass the dnslist check. Anyone doing
> something like this?

Sure, just add the whitelist to your deny rule:

    deny    message       = host is listed in $dnslist_domain
            !senders      = /etc/exim/exim.whitelist
            dnslists      = bl.spamcop.net:dnsbl.njabl.org:relays.ordb.org

exim.whitelist may contain complete domains (example.com), single
addresses (user@???), wildcard patterns (postmaster@*), and
regular expressions, one entry per line.
See section 10.2 ADDRESS LISTS of the Exim 4 spec.

> One other question I have, is it possible to set up "verify sender" for
> certain domains, it seems a lot of Spammers are using fake hotmail or yahoo
> addresses so if you could "verify sender" for hotmail.com and yahoo.com but
> not other domains this wouldn't put to big of a footprint on the CP and cut
> out a little more junk.

    deny    sender_domains = yahoo.com : hotmail.com
            !verify        = sender/callout[=options]

You could also use a file of domains (sender_domains = /etc/exim/file).

Callouts work well only with domains which do not accept random
addresses. That means that doing callouts against Yahoo or AOL (to
name just two) is mostly pointless. Hotmail/MSN however works great,
*if* the spammers haven't gone to such lengths as creating a valid
account first, which seems to happen more and more often.

Andy

--
Andreas J. Mueller                            email: <andy@???>