Re: [Exim] MX + Exim = relay_host?

Author: Pablo Fischer
To: James P. Roberts
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] MX + Exim = relay_host?
El dom, 04 de 05 de 2003 a las 17:40, James P. Roberts escribió:
> 200.67.177.209
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > First of all, Im using Debian Woody, for my mail server im using: exim
> > and ipopd-ssl.
> >
> > Ok, I have a domain: pablo.com.mx
> >
> > 1. I set up in the DNS a MX called: pablo.com.mx, pablo.com.mx its
> > pointing to an IP (my server), so to send a mail to a user of
> > pablo.com.mx, I need to mail to user@???, right?. And if the MX
> > is mail.pablo.com.mx I need to send mail to user@???,
> > right?
>
> No, you would send mail to whatever is on the left hand side of the DNS MX
> record. The right hand side of the MX record should point to the FQDN of your
> SMTP server. That server is then resposible for routing to the correct
> destination for each user.
>
> BUT...
>
> You do not have an MX record for pablo.com.mx, there is only an A record
> pointing to 200.67.177.209.
>
> Side note: I've never seen ".mx" as a TLD before. Interesting.
>
> You should have a DNS "MX" record which points to the FQDN of your SMTP
> server, and also an A record to return the IP address of the FQDN (host) named
> in the MX record. Remember that the DNS MX record for a domain must be a
> FQDN, not an IP. There must be an associated A (or a valid CNAME, I think?)
> for the FQDN listed in the MX record.
>
> Thus, when sending email to, say, anyone@???, the DNS MX record for
> "pablo.com.mx" should return the name of your SMTP server (for example,
> "mail.pablo.com.mx"). The IP of that server is then looked up. (I note at
> this point that this example is not correct for your case, since there is
> currently no DNS record for "mail.pablo.com.mx"; thus, your last example above
> could not work outside your local network).

Thanks for explaining me that :-)

> > 2. In my localnetwork, I can send mails to users with my smtp server, In
> > computer A, I can mail to user2@??? and user2 can check his
> > mail and receive the mail that user1 sent to him.
> >
> > So, my mail server its working fine for my local network. But the
> > problem cames here:
> >
> > Every time I send mail to user@???, from hotmail (for example)
> > in my mainlog of exim, I get this:
> >
> > refused relay (sender & host_accept_relay) to <pablo@???> from
> > <tzimiscemx@???> H=f81.law12.hotmail.com (hotmail.com)
> > [64.4.19.81]
> >
> > So I thing its a bad configuration of my exim, cause IM GETTING THE
> > MAIL.. but...?. I repeat, this also happens If an external ISP try to
> > send mails to me.
> >
> > However, my exim.conf its in:
> > http://pablo.com.mx/exim.conf
> >
> > I hope to solve my problem with your help, thanks!
> >
> > Pablo Fischer
> > --
> > Pablo Fischer <exilion@???>
> >
> Now, also interesting is that the IP of pablo.com.mx (200.67.177.209) has a
> reverse DNS entry which points to dsl-200-67-177-209.prodigy.net.mx. Somehow,
> I suspect that is not your server, but is probably the server that your ISP
> provides for SMTP services?

That IP (and the reverse dns) are like Kevin said, I have an ADSL
connection. I know that its not so good to have all a host in my house,
but its personal (cause Im pablo, heh).

> If you send email to your server, from a remote location (such as hotmail), if
> you tell it (in your email client configuration) to send directly to your
> correct server IP address, but you are addressing the mail to "pablo.com.mx",
> it will appear to be a relay THROUGH your server, rather than directed to a
> user ON your server, because the DNS record for pablo.com.mx points to your
> ISP's server. On the other hand, if (as I suspect without having looked) that
> you have specified pablo.com.mx as a local_domain, that could explain the
> local delivery, too?

Well, most of 'errors' were not all of my parte, were DNS problems,
cause I was also moving my DNS (to zoneedit.com) and the mail that I was
using to test my server (If I was receiving) was also in problems.

But after 6 hours my mail start working, and I could receive and send
mails, so it was just to 'wait' for the DNS changes, now I can send mail
from pablo@???, and receive mails with the users that I have in
my server.

> Not an Exim code expert, so I ask the list, would this analysis explain
> Pablo's symptoms? Could such erroneous DNS records result in both a rejected
> relay attempt, AND a local delivery? (As I understand his description of the
> symptoms). Again, I only checked DNS records, not his exim.conf.

I think was just time to wait for the MX changes :(.

However, yesterday I was mailing friends, and in othe of those mails, I
received a mail in just 5secs from Outblaze telling me that I CANT send
mails from a SMTP server that its running in a dsl connection. I asked
in IRC how can I solve this problem, so when my smtp server detects that
Im sending a mail to user@??? use another smtp server
(like yifan.net).

Thanks!