Re: [Exim] Idea to slow down spammers

Author: Dennis Davis
To: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Idea to slow down spammers
>From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@???>
>To: 'Dennis Davis' <D.H.Davis@???>, 'Marc Perkel' <marc@???>
>Cc: exim-users@???
>Subject: RE: [Exim] Idea to slow down spammers
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:58:14 +0100
>
>> This has been happening for the last few days and 207.233.153.131
>just won't take NO for an answer. This isn't
>> affecting our service, I'd just like to get back at the bastard.
>
>Can you not just block that IP as the source of any connection at your
>firewall (or is it being relayed?).

Sure, blocking at the firewall is certainly an option. And in exim4
I could use the host_reject_connection configuration option, an
acl_smtp_connect ACL, or the tcpwrapper support I always include.
All three can be used to stop this bloke dead in his tracks. That's
what's so really great about exim4. It gives you multiple bullets
for your gun :-)

However, to carry this analogy a little further, I don't want to
just shoot this spammer. Instead I want him to suffer horribly.
Setting up some kind of tarpit to waste *his* resources is at least
a step in this direction. This may suffice until I can get my hands
on Mjolnir [1][2].

[1] http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/thor.html

[2] http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/CITE/v_thor.htm