Re: [Exim] Feature request / wishlist addition

Author: Oliver Eikemeier
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Feature request / wishlist addition
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Rob Butler wrote:
>>Yes, this would be useful only in a pure virtual environment. I.E. no users
>>can log into the system, and they can only access the mail via pop or imap.
>
> In this kind of environment there are existing mail store management
> packages that do this job for you. I have no experience of it, but I
> believe Cyrus will handle messages for multiple users in this way - that
> is, keep a single copy of the message.

Yes, indeed:
<http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/overview.html#singleinstance>

Single Instance Store

If a delivery attempt mentions several recipients (only possible if the MTA is
speaking LMTP to lmtpd), the server attempts to store as few copies of a
message as possible. It will store one copy of the message per partition, and
create hard links for all other recipients of the message.

Oliver