Re: [Exim] Feature request / wishlist addition

Author: Rob Butler
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Feature request / wishlist addition
> But who'd own the files? If I were using maildir or used a system that
did,
> I wouldn't want someone else owning my mail. If a user owned the file,

they
> could potentially modify it and others would see it. If the mail uid

(mail
> or exim) owned it, I couldn't modify it. IIRC, programs like mutt add
> headers to messages for read status and other things.
>
> I'm not sure about pop. Now if you ran a system that only had virtual
> users (Using pop or imap), this wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, this would be useful only in a pure virtual environment. I.E. no users
can log into the system, and they can only access the mail via pop or imap.

> How would should it support if all the maildirs are not on the same disk.

This would be handled via the batch_id. So what the router would do is
lookup the users for the message, and assign all the users who are on the
same disk the same batch id. In this way, there would only be one copy of
the file on each file system, and all other users on that file system would
have hard links to the file. So, if you were using NFS, and had 3 separate
NFS servers there would be a copy of the message on each server. Any
recipients on server 1 would have a hard link to the message stored on
server 1. Recipients on server 2 would have a hard link to the message
stored on server 2, etc.

The reason for the hard links is that the message is automatically cleaned
up. When the last person deletes the message on that NFS server, the
message file is deleted too.

Later
Rob