Re: [Exim] Feature request / wishlist addition

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Rob Butler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Feature request / wishlist addition
> I would like the append file transport modified to support multiple hard
> links to a single file when using the MailDir format.
>
> If a single message is sent to a large # of users, that message will be
> stored once for each user. However, if the append file transport supported
> hard linking then one copy of the file could be stored on disk, but appear
> in multiple user's maildirs.

But who'd own the files? If I were using maildir or used a system that did,
I wouldn't want someone else owning my mail. If a user owned the file, they
could potentially modify it and others would see it. If the mail uid (mail
or exim) owned it, I couldn't modify it. IIRC, programs like mutt add
headers to messages for read status and other things.

I'm not sure about pop. Now if you ran a system that only had virtual
users (Using pop or imap), this wouldn't be a problem.

How would should it support if all the maildirs are not on the same disk.