[Exim] Ident (RFC1413)

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Ident (RFC1413)
I have always had my exim configuration using the default rfc1413_hosts setting, so
it will try using Ident for every call. I have been involved with e-mail since
before rfc1413 was written (and its predecessors rfc931 and rfc912) and have never
had cause to make use of any Ident information.

I can see why it was considered useful in the days when e-mail users were logged in
on multi-user systems, but it seems to me that Ident is completely pointless these
days and I can see no way in which it can provide anything useful to my server.

<Pause while people start jumping on me!>

Before I switch Ident off and save hundreds of thousands of (mostly failing) Ident
connections, can anyone give a good reason why I should not?

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter