Re: [Exim] Ident (RFC1413)

Author: Colm MacCarthaigh
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Ident (RFC1413)
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:08:40PM +0100, Phil Chambers wrote:
> I can see why it was considered useful in the days when e-mail users were logged in
> on multi-user systems, but it seems to me that Ident is completely pointless these
> days and I can see no way in which it can provide anything useful to my server.

I find it extremely useful for keeping tabs on mail-relay users
for outbound mail, that way if one of them abuses the system
we have some tracability, we run identd on our hosts.

For inbound mail, it really is pointless these days.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh  /  HEAnet, Teach Brooklawn,  / Innealtóir Ghréasáin
+353 1 6609040    / Bóthar Shelbourne, BÁC, IE /   http://www.hea.net/