Re: [Exim] New exiscan

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] New exiscan
Nico Erfurth wrote:

>>> Hmmm, IIRC you wanted to make exiscan LESS intrusive ;)

>> Well I finally figured that the data ACL is the logical place to be :)

> Yes it is, BUT (uuhhh most people hate it when I say "BUT" :)) You
> should make it more flexible, and NOT exiscan specific, really, having a
> generic local-scan interface, that can maybe be used in the maintree, is
> much better than a patch that's gowing and growing, because it's to
> specific.

What do you mean with "generic"? Having it in the ACL system is doing
just that. You can roll your own headers/replies and log messages, use
the standard "control" statement, have extra "condition" entries that
can work with some expansion variables that I set up ...

I like the tight integration with exim. I don't need another config file
to maintain and I can use all of Philip's excellent functions. What are
the drawbacks anyway? With the "new" patch, no exiscan related code is
ever called if my ACL conditions are not used.

I know that the current patch became quite clumsy, and thats part of the
reason for the relaunch (BTW I will support the current patch for
exim4's lifetime, to make binary distros backwards-compatible). The new
code has been properly split in several files and very much cleaned up.

The number of configuration options in section 1 of the exim config file
is down to 2, all the rest goes into the ACL.

> Yes, it is, BUT currently your syntax is not that easy to understand IMHO.

Some things may still change there. :)

> Isn't it on the WishList already?

Didn't check, sorry :)

regards,