Re: [Exim] SMTP Auth against /etc/master.passwd on FreeBSD

Author: Jez Hancock
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP Auth against /etc/master.passwd on FreeBSD
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:37:05AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Just maintain a local copy of /etc/master.passwd, with the appropriate
> permissions and ownership, in (say) /etc/exim/

I was considering this and trading it off against writing a suid root prog
that authenticates users. I think your method might be quicker in the short run. :)

> Or use cyrus sasl's pwcheck method to AUTH - you'd have to recompile
> exim to enable auth pwcheck after installing SASL's pwcheck.

And yet another idea I was playing with - ironically though cyrus-sasl failed to build
on my system which was why I moved to exim (from sendmail) in first place . Long story, but basically
cyrus-sasl was running nicely via sendmail until I tried to upgrade to a later version
of cyrus-sasl - at which the install borked - so I decided to change to exim.

Perhaps not one of the main reasons one would want to change MTA for, but to be honest
I'd been considering it for a while and this seemed like a choice time to do it.

I liked the fact that exim afforded more control to the admin wrt configuration options
such as ASMTP and I'm not regretting it. Exim seems to be so much cleaner in terms of
configuration at least and I'm whole-heartedly advocating it :) Thanks Phillip et al!

I'm currently battling with a simple perl script that authenticates users against the
system password file which I'll probably convert to an executable to speed things up a little.

I'll post my results when I'm done.

Thanks for the reply,

Jez