Re: [Exim] High Load

Author: Felix Havemann
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] High Load
Hi Nigel,

On Mittwoch, April 9, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Are you aiming to do local or remote deliveries?

remote

> In any case exim speed is normally dominated by these factors in order
> of importance as I see them:-
>      1. Disk (or more correctly) filesystem throughput, in terms of
>         operations per second rather than straight throughput.  Many of
>         the operations are synchronous (as required by the mail RFCs).

The SunFire V100 uses an IDE-Disk and the filesystem is xfs. Changing
things here is the last thing I want to do. This would mean to buy new
hardware. An option could be to use a RAM-disk, as you mentioned.

>      2. DNS lookups.  Having a good DNS cache nearby (local network at
>         least) is a must unless you are only doing local mail ops.
>         Personally I put dnscache ( ) on machines.

The DNS-Server is actually not the fastest around. I will install a
bind-caching-server on a machine connected via crosslink-ethernet to
enhance this.

>      3. Network throughput

The machine is in colocation space with good connectivity. This should
be no issue.

>      4. CPU

UltraSparcII 5xx MHz. Actually, the CPU is bored by the mailings.

> RAM is not an issue

I do not agree... After adding an extra 512MB the machine performed
much better.

Thanks

Felix

--