Re: [Exim] stress testing exim

Author: ronny
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] stress testing exim
Nico

You are right
I missed out on some critical data:
The box is just playing a relay domains are lsearched in a flat file (only 15 entries) en pushed to the appropriate internal AV boxes.
The OS is a standard redhat linux 8.0 with an ext3 filesystem but the system seems to be more CPU bound than IO bound since it is forking itself to dead.

The standard acl is generating tons of dns traffic as it tries to verify the addresses.
Apparently this is not cached ... or I missed a setting here...
If I send 1000 messages to the same destination domain it does an mx lookup of the sender and recipient domains for each of them.
I have tried both with a local caching nameserver (on the box) and one on the same segment without a significant difference

The box is handling a mix of in/outbound mails which includes some mailings to customers (batches of 20.000 and more) and the normal corporate mail stuff/spam.

Indeed I'll try to fiddle with the load/queue settings to keep system load on a reasonable level but I was just surprised/afraid that this will keep my max concurrent smtp sessions to something around 50 and that performance will drop further when adding more checks (e.g. rbl, local antispam rules) and some rewrites
50 concurrent sessions is not giving the throughput of 120K/mesg.

Thanks for your tips.

Ronny