Re: [Exim] question regarding freezing/thawing

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Philip Hazel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: John Jetmore
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] question regarding freezing/thawing
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, John Jetmore wrote:

> > Ah. Because it's a routing error (rather than a delivery error), the
> > message isn't being discarded by ignore_bounce_errors_after.

I should have been even more explicit, and said a *temporary* routing
error.

> Is there any way to remedy this? I realize the obvious answer is "fix
> the routing error", but that's not really an option - we have clients who
> generate mails to invalid addresses from time to time, that's not a
> symptom I am able to fix. This constant freezing and thawing is rather
> aggravating, especially since I took advantage of the freeze_tell option.

I see the problem, but there is a difficulty. If I simply make it
discard the message on any temporary routing error, it will discard a
bounce message when the DNS server for the domain of the recipient
happens to be down (for example). Unfortunately, there isn't a way of
distinguishing between "expected" temporary routing errors such as DNS
unavailable, and "unexpected" errors such as screwed up configurations.
Indeed, I don't really think there should be.

An error such as

> 2003-03-21 18:50:39 mailer-daemon@???
> <Mailer-Daemon@???> R=lookuphost defer (-1): remote
> host address is the local host*** Frozen

really does suggest some kind of situation that ought (somehow) to be
fixed.