Re: [Exim] RFC Query

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users
CC: Mills Mr C P
Subject: Re: [Exim] RFC Query
At 11:41 +0000 2003/03/19, Philip Hazel wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
>
>>  >*@*.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk    "$local_part@???"    w

>> >Or do I need to use:
>> >
>>  >*@*.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk    "<$local_part@???>"    w

>> exim's specs say that [with the 'w'] you must put the brackets, as
>> the right hand part must consist of a compliant address.
>
>Exim's specs say "including the angle brackets if necessary". If there
>is no other text in the address, you don't need the <> and in fact, a
>strict reading of RFC 822 (sic) says you musn't have them. I think 2822
>has relaxed this, if I recall correctly. Anyway, as far as what you are
>allowed goes, either of the above rewrite rules should work.

sorry about my extrapolation of the exim specs... I haven't read the
requirements for the headers format (from 2822), I was just referring
to the envelope, where the brackets, afaik, are required (RFC 2821).

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/