Re: [Exim] Exim and Mailman

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Yann Golanski
CC: Adam H. Pendleton, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and Mailman
On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:37, Yann Golanski wrote:
> --
> Quoth Adam H. Pendleton on Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:55:18 -0500
> > MAILMAN_USER=mailman
> > MAILMAN_GROUP=mailman
> > [...]
> > 2003-03-12 09:59:26 18t7hW-00050G-00 ** abc@???
> > R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport: Child process of mailman_transport
> > transport returned 2 from command: /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
>
> This is a uid/gid problem.
>
> > What's the deal? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Mailman is _VERY_ dependent on what uid and gid it runs and is
> installed. You need to remove all trace of mailman from your machine.
> Re-compile Mailman to use the uid and gid of Exim whatever those are.
> Make install to your favorite place. Re-hup Exim and this should work.

Mailman works fine as a different UID to exim - and *should* be run that
way (why should a broken MLM compromise your mail queues too).

However the UID/GID used to invoke mailman is critical, and so you need
to make sue that the MAILMAN_USER/MAILMAN_GROUP settings match your
mailman installation.

It may be as easy to reinstall mailman to get this right - however I
think you can deduce the settings by looking at the ownerships on the
mailman directories.

I would strongly recommend that mailman is *not* built using exim as its
owner or group.

    Nigel.