Re: [Exim] 4.12 smtp transport segfaults, newbie begs for he…

Author: Greg Louis
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.12 smtp transport segfaults, newbie begs for help
On 20030127 (Mon) at 2258:17 +0100, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> Greg Louis wrote:
> >Today I compiled exim for the first time and attempted to do some
> >preliminary tests as described in spec.txt. This was exim-4.12; I
> >compiled it on two different Linux-2.4.21pre3-glibc-2.2.5 boxes. Both
> >behaved the same way: compilation and installation went smoothly, -bV
> >showed no problems, -bt <local username> no problem, -bt <remote
> >address> no problem, -v local user no problem -- but -v remote user
> >returned
> >
> >LOG: MAIN
> > == glouis@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-1):
> >smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x000b: terminated by
> >signal 11
> >LOG: MAIN
> > Frozen
> >
> >reproducibly. Running -d -M <id> yielded no further information, other
> >than that the resolution process completed successfully and a
> >connection was to be attempted to the correct IP address. Inspection
> >of the logs on the recipient host machines showed that the segfault
> >occurred before any connection had been established.
> >
> >The machines on which exim was compiled both had smail3 installed but
> >not running at the time the testing was done. Nothing was bound to
> >port 25 on either (smail wasn't being run from inetd).
>
> Mostly the problem is a version problem between your DB headerfiles and
> libraries, you should read the dbm.discuss.txt in your doc directory.

I did read that, but I confess I didn't run the locking test. I've
done that now and it all works as expected. Further, the
OS/Makefile-Linux file configures USE_DB as recommended, so ndbm.h
confusion shouldn't arise. File src/dbstuff.h has #include <db.h>
which is the right place to look for the 4.1.25 version. Running ldd
on the exim binary confirms that 4.1 is the db that's linked in. Is
there something else I should look for?

Thanks for your help..............
--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg@??? |