Re: [Exim] Report on Exim 4.12 and Openldap 2.1.10

Author: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
To: Tony Earnshaw
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Report on Exim 4.12 and Openldap 2.1.10
Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Don't know whether anyone cares, but for the record:
>
> I've been using Exim and Openldap for all user authentication, system
> and user aliases, virtual domains, mail forwarding, client
> authentication (AUTH PLAIN and CRAM-MD5), etc. etc. since about Exim
> 4.05 and Openldap 2.1.2.

This sounds a lot like the setup we are currently beta testing for a
pretty large installation too. Any problems when using SMTP AUTH
together with quoted passwords(eg. a password like "abc" including the
"'s) when using the ldapauth-condition ?

> I use Exim/ldap for all smtp under *very* stressful conditions. The
> present versions are Exim 4.12 and Openldap 2.1.10. Everything is ldaps,
> no ldapi.
>
> The update from Openldap 2.1.8 to 2.1.10 was a real eye-opener. Whereas
> Exim/2.1.8 and previous would conk out under stress, Exim 4.1.12 and
> Openldap 2.1.10 seems to be "self healing", in that it reports temporary
> difficulties and just carries on. I'm staggered at the difference.
>
> Stanford Univerity in the States and Howard Chu of Symac (Openldap
> developer) would seem to be the initiators. Testbeds were Sun Netra
> server groups and the goal was to up the performance of Openldap, which
> was achieved with an order of magnitudes. On the basis of those tests,
> the Openldap code was rewritten to the 2.1.10 specs.

Hmm sounds very interesting, we have always been very disappointed by
the OpenLDAP-Serverperformance(only 2.0.x experience here - is 2.1.x
really _THAT_ much better ?).
Especially compared to modern SQL-Databases or IPlanet LDAP(on either
SUN/SPARC or Linux/Ix86).
Any Numbers you can provide in terms of queries/sek(or handled
mails/sek) you are able to squeeze out of your Netras?

> I've always (since 1997) been an Exim man, but this is really a new
> epoque for me. Unbelievable.

Absolutly - exim is just a wonderful product, I wish there would be more
software of this kind of quality and flexibility (even commercial ones)

Stefan