[Exim] Report on Exim 4.12 and Openldap 2.1.10

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Report on Exim 4.12 and Openldap 2.1.10
Hi list,

Don't know whether anyone cares, but for the record:

I've been using Exim and Openldap for all user authentication, system
and user aliases, virtual domains, mail forwarding, client
authentication (AUTH PLAIN and CRAM-MD5), etc. etc. since about Exim
4.05 and Openldap 2.1.2.

I use Exim/ldap for all smtp under *very* stressful conditions. The
present versions are Exim 4.12 and Openldap 2.1.10. Everything is ldaps,
no ldapi.

The update from Openldap 2.1.8 to 2.1.10 was a real eye-opener. Whereas
Exim/2.1.8 and previous would conk out under stress, Exim 4.1.12 and
Openldap 2.1.10 seems to be "self healing", in that it reports temporary
difficulties and just carries on. I'm staggered at the difference.

Stanford Univerity in the States and Howard Chu of Symac (Openldap
developer) would seem to be the initiators. Testbeds were Sun Netra
server groups and the goal was to up the performance of Openldap, which
was achieved with an order of magnitudes. On the basis of those tests,
the Openldap code was rewritten to the 2.1.10 specs.

I've always (since 1997) been an Exim man, but this is really a new
epoque for me. Unbelievable.

Best,

Tony

--