Re: [Exim] Overview/Beginner questions (quickies?)

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Overview/Beginner questions (quickies?)
Hi Derek, on Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:48:33 -0500 (EST) you wrote:

> 1. RPMs, anyone? I'm unable to find any RPMs of the 4.x series. I'm
> looking for either a .src.rpm or a Mandrake 9.0 i386 with support for
> SMTP AUTH "LOGIN" and OpenLDAP.

Check my site ( http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/ ) for everything you need
(spec files/associated files etc.). It's currently only got 4.10 on there,
but that's just because I haven't updated it - I'll happily send you stuff
for 4.12. It doesn't support OpenLDAP by default, but that's a trivial
change to the Makefile.

> Here's a brief overview of my setup. My domains and local users
> are stored in an LDAP database. I want to make it so that any AUTH'd
> user can relay to wherever he pleases (no matter what I.P. he is coming
> from). Other than that, Exim will receive mail for any local user (in
> the LDAP database), but everything else is rejected. (Pretty
> standard...?)

Sounds perfectly doable, although others here will be able to help you
with the LDAP more than I.

> Here are the tricky bits. I want to use procmail as the Local
> Delivery Agent for my local users

Although I don't do that, I can't see a problem with it, using a pipe
transport.

> 2. It allows for advanced filtering through well-documented recipes

This may not affect your decision, but you might like to consider two
things:

1. Exim has a very powerful and easy-to-use filtering language built in
(which can be used on a per-user basis if you like).

2. It's easy to integrate advanced filtering (spam or virus checking, for
example, although you can do anything you want) and in fact I'm just
finishing off a substantial Mini HOWTO about this.

> Is there any problem with using procmail as the LDA in Maildir
> mode (when the users are in LDAP and/or PAM)?

I can't see any apparent problem.

<snip>
> ...so the local username cannot just be "dereks", as that would
> result in a namespace conflict.

That's not a problem at all. In fact, if you follow the virtual domain
config example given in the spec (manual), that enforces namespace
separation. What you might typically do in this case is have UNIX users
something like "derek001", "derek002" etc., and then have virtual domain
routes something like this:

derek@domain1 -> derek001@???
derek@domain2 -> derek002@???

However, what you will find out (if you haven't already) is that Exim is
just about the most configurable piece of software on the planet, and if
this scheme doesn't suit you then you can just dream a new one up and
there's a 99% chance that you'll be able to implement it in Exim using
some combination of routers, lookups etc.

Hope that helps to give you at least some brief introduction to some of
the issues.

Tim